I occasionally see Altec questions on the AudioAsylum forums, which I send over here. Not sure they ever arrive, but none the less...
Things do tend to go in trends, and with any hope things will swing back from flash to content. I think there is a fundamental quality and performance in the Altecs which will never go away or be outdated. The current trend, or maybe not so current, are massive arrays or drivers, or odd looking speaker enclosures, likely intended to impress with visuals rather than sound.
The other problem is that many of the youth of today would not know a screwdriver from a dental pick. Hard to approach any real projects with no knowledge on how to use your hands or tools. This may be somewhat remedied if the school systems actually do re-institute auto shop, wood shop, etc. There are likely a lot of kids out there that this instruction would be a great fit for - much more so than 'knowledge worker' indoctrination, which is not consistent with their inherent orientation.
I hope the content and expertise here is retained, since it is irreplaceable. It is also too bad about GPA, which ended up like many small businesses due to the 'pandemic'. If, or when, people realize what actually happened, then perhaps things will return somewhat to where they were, and people will start to enjoy their lives again. Altec might see a resurgence then, as people again pursue beauty and joy.




Bookmarks